Thursday, March 22, 2007

Meyer's Smoked Turkey Breast

And this is one of the first images that you see on a google search of "breast meyer". At least they ship from Texas...

But to the matter at hand (or abreast...)... I was so happy to finally have a chance to post the six youtube links for the British doc on Russ Meyers that I bookmarked sometime ago after reading about it on the Positive Ape Index blog done by hotrod and CARtoon artist Coop, but sadly the the links have been shot down by some copyright monkey sitting at a desk...

When I moved to Toronto for college, away from my parent's watchful eye (which was liberal, but this might not be a comfortable thing to watch with them...), one of the first things I rented were the various works of Meyers. Never had a chance to watch them in the cinema, but Russ had a hard time with his films being screened in Ontario back in the day. No web info to back that up, but the Ontario Film Review Board has always been snip happy with his films.


I can kind of blame my parents for the Meyer interest since they did give me Danny Peary's "Cult Movies" as a Christmas present in my early teenage years and I read and re-read the synopsis and essay on BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (and BEHIND THE GREEN DOOR, EMANUELLE, CAGED HEAT and others...).


Now if I can get my parents to buy the various volumes of this series for me this Christmas as a 37-year old...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That collection of books is very hit and miss, since half of the pages are in a foriegn language. Sure the pics are great but pricey.

Why no poster for Mudhoney or Lorna my two favorite Meyer flicks

Poptique said...

You may (or alternatively may not) know that the vastly superior Meyer documentary from the legendary Incredibly Strange Film Show with Jonathan Ross is an extra on the region 2 release of Mondo Topless.

Highlights include a champagne interview with Meyer (and a tour of his abode), a chat with Tura Santana in a deserted drive in and a few seconds of the aborted Who Killed Bambi. Wunderbar stuff.