Thursday, August 14, 2008

Frankenheimer Trailers

John Frankenheimer was one of the great black & white directors - in fact, I took his advice from an interview with him I saw once and checked out some of his cheesy eighties pulp like 52 Pick-Up with Roy Scheider and Dead Bang with Don Johnson but I turned the colour off on my TV; he said they were much better viewed in monochrome and yes, they are. He was also the master of the DVD director's commentary track. Too bad he never recorded one for Black Sunday...

Very disturbing trailer for The Manchurian Candidate (1962)



The most depressing movie ever made - Seconds (1966)



Cinerama-hyping TV trailer for the bloated Grand Prix (with Françoise Hardy!) (1966)



Am I the only one who prefers French Connection II (1975) to the original?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the Frankenheimer/Lancaster films are without a doubt some of the finest and more stylish around. Even the camera work in THE YOUNG SAVAGES is impressive. Almost more impressive than it should have been for that type of film.
99 AND 44/100% DEAD is one of my faves.

Jesse said...

I would love to see 99 and 44/100% Dead - Frankenheimer, Richard Harris (I guess Michael Caine was unavailable) and written by the author of Prime Cut!

I found this write-up tantalizing:

"But the brilliance of the film is in the way this genre staple is taken and applied to a world of nightmare reality, a kind of dream state where anything and everything can happen, with or without reason. With this seemingly blasphemous take on the crime film, the film expands the genre to a kind of adolescent art film, a clear and pure distillation of the possible mind state of the murderer." - http://5mtl.com/1D/99anddead.htm